Kenya's Most Authoritative Political Newspaper

Citizen Weekly

Wednesday, 1 April 2015

MUTEMU THREATENS TO RELEASE SECOND LIST OF SHAME

NAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 1 – The Ethics and Anti Corruption Commission (EACC) Chairman Mumo Matemu has pledged to expedite investigations of individuals named in the list of shame that was tabled in Parliament on Tuesday.
Matemu told journalists on Wednesday that the commission will set strict timelines for each case, to avoid taking unnecessary time on them.
“We will, as much as possible, try to deliver on the timelines…we will adjust where timelines need to be adjusted,” he stated.
President Uhuru Kenyatta, who submitted the list to the National Assembly last week, had urged the Commission to expedite the investigations and conclude within 60 days.
Matemu said the Commission will continue to update the list of shame to ensure anyone suspected to be involved in corruption is exposed and investigated.
He however, said the commission was constrained by resources and hopes the government will deploy more to ensure cases do not stall.
“There has been one element of the report which has not been captured; about our meager resources. That is a matter we are fully engaged with the budget committee and the Executive,” he pointed out.
Some of the high profile cases the anti-graft body is dealing with include the Karen land saga, the Anglo-leasing and the Mumias Sugar scandal.
On his part, the commission Chief Executive Officer Halakhe Waqo assured that they “will work expeditiously and make sure that our commitment to timelines that are already drawn and the collaboration we have enlisted is achieved.”
Five Cabinet Secretaries, a number of Principal Secretaries and parastatal heads are among those mentioned in the confidential report that was authored by Waqo and handed to President Kenyatta.
Twelve Governors are among top officials named in the report by EACC, with details of graft allegations facing them.
They include Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero who is alleged to have signed a Sh4.6 billion deal to launch the Metro Transportation System through a flawed process.
Bomet Governor Isaac Ruto is also under investigation for allegedly accumulating immense wealth by purchasing earth movers worth Sh400 million and a helicopter worth Sh300 million, besides purchasing a house worth Sh33 million shillings in Ngong.
In Machakos, Governor Alfred Mutua is accused of purchasing 14 Subaru vehicles for county Executive members through single sourcing which was overpriced.
Allegations against Turkana Governor Josephat Nanok include the irregular payment of Sh14 million to a contractor for the construction of a bridge where no work was done.
Meru Governor Peter Munya is also alleged to have abused and misused public funds on fuel, service and repair of a private vehicle.
The report tabled in the senate on Tuesday also shows that Governor Ali Hassan Joho of Mombasa is under investigation for allegedly facilitating the grabbing of the land occupied by the Mwembe Tayari Market which is a public property.
Amason Kingi of Kilifi is alleged to have irregularly procured a house at a cost of Sh140 million without following procurement procedures.