Kenya's Most Authoritative Political Newspaper

Citizen Weekly

Friday, 14 November 2014


A 28-year-old mother of two has endured a triple tragedy — assault by a neighbor, imprisonment and rape by a Kikuyu station police officer and the mysterious death of her three-month-old son.
The woman, a single mother, said she fears for her life and that of her three-year-old son and 12-year-old brother with whom she lives. She said police did not record the multiple rapes committed on Wednesday morning in the Occurrence Book, and the rapist knows where she lives.
This is how the horrors unfolded, according to the woman.
Last month she was assaulted by her neighbor in Gitaru, Kwa Njamba village.
On Tuesday this week at 9am she arrived at the Kikuyu police station to get a P3 medical form to detail the assault. She rushed because she left her baby Louise Ngumbau unattended and wanted to return soon.
“Initially when I reported the matter to the police, they demanded a witness. I told them she was held up and was willing to come once she is available,” she  said..When she went for the P3, the police officer handling her case told her to wait for him in the waiting area until 2pm. He said he first had to handle an emergency.
At 2pm the officer told her to follow him to his house in the police line “where he claimed he kept the P3 forms”. The police station and lines are in the same compound.
He locked her inside his house, which she could not escape, and left.
At 1am on Wednesday, he returned and raped her repeatedly.
“He undressed me, raped me three times and threatened me, saying if I argue, resist or expose him, I would know he is a police officer,” the woman said.
At 6am Wednesday morning, she was able to leave his house and returned to check on her son and brother.
“I was shocked to find neighbours milling around my house, only to find my baby dead in my house.”
The circumstances of the death are unclear, she said.
She reported the death of her baby and her imprisonment and rape at the Kikuyu police station, but her rape report was not entered in the Occurrence Book, she said.
The woman said she does not understand why the OCS directed the officer who raped her to take Ngumbau’s body to St Teresa’s mortuary in Kikuyu, using a private car.
She has appealed to the Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo to intervene.
Kikuyu OCPD Mutune Maweu said he had “no idea” about the matter but said he was aware of the rape allegations.
“I overheard it but it has not officially been brought to my attention. I will get back to you,” he said yesterday.
A senior police officer in the IG’s office, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject, he was “disgusted” to learn of the imprisonment and rape.
“Kindly let the world know what that lady underwent at a police station (compound),” he said.
It was unclear why the police at Kikuyu police station appeared unwilling to pursue the matter, although the woman informed the OCS.
“The OCS kicked me out of his office while locking himself inside,” she said.
She said she had never met the police officer who raped her before she went to report the assault that occurred last month.
“I met him for the first time when I went to report my assault. He was the one handling my case,” she said
The woman was taken to Nairobi Women’s Hospital, Ngong Road branch, for treatment yesterday. She was seen by a counsellor who gave her name only as Sylvia. She said she did not know when the woman could be discharged.
“We will first counsel her and the rest will follow,” she said.
The woman expressed concern that her three-year-old son and her 12-year-old brother will be left alone and uncared for while she is in hospital.
She said she herself is an orphan and does not know any relatives who can help her.
“My mother had not introduced me to my relatives before she died,” said the woman, who grew up in Nairobi.
Contacted, the alleged rapist police officer hung up his phone when a reporter identified himself.

No comments:

Post a comment